When it comes to repairing electronic circuit boards, it's important to have the right skills, tools, and techniques to avoid making costly mistakes. Despite the best intentions, even experienced technicians can make errors that can lead to further damage to the circuit board or even render it irreparable.
In this article, we will discuss the top 12 mistakes made when repairing electronic circuit boards, including how to avoid them and what to do if you've already made them. By following these tips, you can save time, money, and frustration when working with electronic circuit boards.
Top PCB Repair Mistakes
Avoiding the following common mistakes will increase your chances of success and avoid costly errors:
1. Lack of proper understanding of the circuit board
Without a good understanding of the components and how they work together, it's easy to miss something critical during the repair process.
2. Inadequate tools and equipment
Using the wrong tools or equipment can damage the circuit board, which can lead to further complications.
3. Ignoring safety precautions
Electronics can be dangerous, so it's important to follow safety precautions when repairing circuit boards. This includes wearing appropriate protective gear and turning off power sources before handling electronic components.
4. Failing to diagnose the root cause of the problem
Without identifying the root cause of the problem, it's easy to make assumptions that can lead to unnecessary repairs or even damage to the circuit board. Chemtronics offers a variety of aerosol freeze spray products, which can help diagnose faulty components or bad solder joints.
5. Overlooking loose connections
Loose connections can be easy to miss, but they can cause serious problems, so it's important to double-check all connections.
6. Improper soldering
Soldering is a delicate process that requires practice and skill. Poor soldering can lead to further damage to the circuit board.
7. Using incorrect replacement parts
Using the wrong replacement parts can cause further damage to the circuit board or render it useless.
8. Failure to clean the circuit board properly
Dirt, dust, and debris can cause serious damage to electronic components. It's important to clean the circuit board properly before beginning any repairs. For loose dust and dirt, Chemtronics offers a number of aerosol dusters. For flux or more stubborn soils, consider one of our Flux-Off flux removers.
9. Not testing the board after repair
Testing the board after repair ensures that the issue has been resolved and there are no new problems.
10. Rushing the repair process
Rushing through repairs can lead to mistakes that can cause further damage to the circuit board. CircuitWorks PCB repair products can be used to quickly and effectively make simple board repairs without sacrificing quality. For example, CircuitWorks Conductive Pens can be used to repair a break in a trace without the use of a jumper. CircuitWorks Overcoat Pens can be used to patch defects in solder resist, or coat over repair areas.
11. Ignoring warning signs
Warning signs, such as strange smells or smoke, should not be ignored. They can be indicators of serious issues that need to be addressed immediately.
12. Lack of patience and attention to detail
Patience and attention to detail are critical when repairing electronic circuit boards. Rushing through repairs or missing details can cause further damage or render the circuit board unusable.
Repairing electronic circuit boards can be a challenging task that requires knowledge, experience, and patience. However, by avoiding the common mistakes mentioned above, you can increase your chances of success and avoid costly errors. Remember to take the time to properly diagnose the problem, use the correct tools and techniques, and follow best practices for soldering and desoldering. By doing so, you can increase the lifespan of your electronic devices and save money on costly replacements.
Chemtronics: Your Partner for Electronic Circuit Board Repair
Chemtronics offers a broad array of products designed to make PCB repair faster, easier, and more fool-proof:
- Duster – Chemtronics aerosol dusters (commonly called "canned air") are made of highly filtered, oil- and moisture-free propellant developed for applications where safe, ultra-pure cleaning is required. Compact and portable, Chemtronics dusters deliver powerful jet action to instantly remove particles from even the most inaccessible areas. All Chemtronics Dusters economize solvent usage by removing layers of dry particulate allowing the solvent to work immediately on encrusted soils. They also accelerate surface drying when using slow-evaporating cleaners to remove damaging oil and residue.
- Freeze spray – Chemtronics’ line of freeze spray is exceptionally pure, nonflammable, and provides instantaneous freezing action while leaving no residue. Conveniently packaged and designed for either pinpoint or full board application, these non-reactive circuit refrigerants evaporate instantly while cooling targeted areas. They can test electronic equipment to locate thermal intermittent components and systems that need repair.
- Flux remover – Proper maintenance is critical to ensure reliable circuitry. Not only is it unsightly, but excess flux residue can promote short circuits and corrosion, degrading or destroying the printed circuit board. The type of flux to be removed, solvent compatibility and ease of application are all factors to consider when choosing the appropriate product. Flux-Off is available in aerosol, in liquid, and in BrushClean™ System format for vapor degreasers, spray systems, ultrasonics, and dip tank applications. Flux-Off products are specially formulated to remove all types of rosin (types R, RA, and RMA), no-clean, water-soluble and synthetic (type SA) flux. Flux remover spray can spray in any direction, even upside down. Flux removers are recommended for post-solder operations, PC boards, sensitive circuit components, component leads, SMD pads, chip carriers, plugs, sockets and heat sinks, and Thru-hole and SMT devices.
- PCB repair products – CircuitWorks brand’s comprehensive line of conveniently packaged and precise dispensing rework and repair products makes circuit board repair and prototyping faster, easier and more accurate. Advanced-formula materials packaged in unique delivery systems ensure superior performance and pinpoint accuracy. The full range of products meets all of the technician’s needs for electronics rework and prototyping — repairing, cleaning, protecting, lubricating, bonding, and restoring electrical conductivity to circuit boards and components.
For more information or technical support, contact Chemtronics at firstname.lastname@example.org or 678-824-6996.